NBA Draft 2018?

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apr 3, 2018 11:14pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

You guys realize that Ballmer has made a TON of changes on the medical staff/department in both personell and equipment since he took over right? He has invested a bunch of money into it.

No I did not realize that. Is there an article out there on this topic? I am not asking you to hunt it down, I can try and do that, but do you have any recollection of what it might have said or who published it?

Yeah there is, I actually posted it here on the forum awhile back.

Apr 3, 2018 11:35pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

Apr 4, 2018 7:19am
Mistwell
Online
Last seen: 2 min 37 sec ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

It could become 13 or even 14. Technically there is a less than 1% chance it could even become 15! 

Looking at their schedule, and given our plans, I wouldn't be surprised if it became 13.

Apr 4, 2018 8:01am
tullabye
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

Spin...spin...spin. The first two of those five wins were with Blake. You should apply for a CNN anchor position.
Apr 4, 2018 8:52am
babyradar01
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

The funny thing is Detroit would be better off losing so that their odds of getting into the top 3 and keeping the pick increase...not by much, but just sayin.

Apr 4, 2018 10:18am
Clippers1121
Offline
Last seen: 10 min 14 sec ago
Joined: Nov 15, 2011

I have no idea if the Brunson kid who plays for Villanova is going to translate into the NBA.  Or is the german kid on Michigan named Wagner going to be any good.  He is 6'11" and can rebound and shoot the three.  But can he compete with the big boys in the NBA.  Do we draft the guys who are elite athletes in college and hope they blossom into good players or do we draft the really good players and hope they are competitive at the next level up.  Or just trade the picks for guys who are already established in the NBA.  Such a guessing game but it is nice to have some assets instead of giving them away for dumping Dudley's contract or two months of Jeff Green.  Good to have Doc out of the picture as GM.  That is the only thing we know for sure.

Apr 4, 2018 12:38pm
VFHS
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 24 min ago
Joined: Mar 8, 2013

Brunson is probably a second-round pick at best. His size is decidedly average for the PG position and he's not very athletic. Also a HUGE flopper and crybaby. However, his high basketball IQ should keep him in the league for a while as a reserve.

Wagner is slow, unathletic, a poor rebounder and an abysmal defender. He's basically Jahlil Okafor with a jump shot, which still isn't good enough in today's era. Again, maybe a second-round pick at best.

It's important not to get caught up in the hype of a March Madness run when judging prospects. That's how you end up having teams talking themselves into Buddy Hield as the next Steph Curry and regretting it instantly.

Apr 4, 2018 1:23pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

tullabye wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

Spin...spin...spin. The first two of those five wins were with Blake. You should apply for a CNN anchor position.

Still defending Blake huh? Yikes. Sad.

 

Apr 4, 2018 4:03pm
Mistwell
Online
Last seen: 2 min 37 sec ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

I think we should just trust Jerry West to evaluate the draft talent. This is the guy who drafted all of Kobe Bryant, A.C. Green, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, and Klay Thompson. The man knows how to spot talent. So just let him do his thing. 

Apr 4, 2018 4:27pm
V-Ice
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 18 min ago
Joined: Nov 27, 2011

^did West draft Derek Fisher? Trade for Horry?

Apr 4, 2018 4:29pm
ClipperSisyphus
Online
Last seen: 4 min 55 sec ago
Joined: Nov 1, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

I think we should just trust Jerry West to evaluate the draft talent. This is the guy who drafted all of Kobe Bryant, A.C. Green, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, and Klay Thompson. The man knows how to spot talent. So just let him do his thing. 

He's got that ambition, baby, look in his eyes.

This week he's mopping floors, next week its the fries.

Apr 4, 2018 7:46pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Mistwell wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

It could become 13 or even 14. Technically there is a less than 1% chance it could even become 15! 

Looking at their schedule, and given our plans, I wouldn't be surprised if it became 13.

They lost tonight, it’ll be 12.
Apr 4, 2018 7:50pm
Mistwell
Online
Last seen: 2 min 37 sec ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

trapp76 wrote:
Mistwell wrote:

trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

It could become 13 or even 14. Technically there is a less than 1% chance it could even become 15! 

Looking at their schedule, and given our plans, I wouldn't be surprised if it became 13.

They lost tonight, it’ll be 12.

Hrm. Yeah that does up the odds that they lock 12. 

Apr 4, 2018 9:23pm
tullabye
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 40 min ago
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
trapp76 wrote:

tullabye wrote:
trapp76 wrote:

BTW Pistons pick is pretty much locked in at 12 at this point. They won 5 in a row as soon as Blake stopped playing (sorta like the Clippers did when he stopped playing for them). 

Only question now is where our own pick is gonna land. Could be as high as 13, or as low as 17 or 18.

Spin...spin...spin. The first two of those five wins were with Blake. You should apply for a CNN anchor position.

Still defending Blake huh? Yikes. Sad.

 

Just keeping things real.
Apr 5, 2018 11:20am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

I think we should just trust Jerry West to evaluate the draft talent. This is the guy who drafted all of Kobe Bryant, A.C. Green, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, and Klay Thompson. The man knows how to spot talent. So just let him do his thing. 

 

I asked this question months ago (to CorkScrew, but anyone could have answered), about his Memphis tenure, but didn't get a response.

 

What do you think?  See it re-posted below.  Actually 2 posts.

 

Dec 8, 2017 12:43pm nuraman00 wrote:

 

What are your thoughts on the Drew Gooden pick?  Does he get a debit for making the pick, or does he get a credit for trading him and Gordan Giricek for Mike Miller, future 2003 pick Kendrick Perkins, Ryan Humphrey, and future 2004 pick Sergei Lishouk 8 months after Gooden was drafted?

 

I can't recall many other top picks who were traded during their rookie season, who weren't involved in draft day deals.  I guess the Andrew Wiggins trade is the only other time I can think of it happening, but most people thought Cleveland might trade their # 1 overall pick.

 

So did he make the wrong pick in the first place, or the right trade to correct it?

 

It's also possible that you think that Drew Gooden was the right pick in the first place.  So, let's see how you evaluate this situation.

 

Dec 12, 2017 3:09pm nuraman00 wrote:

 

 

In addition to your opinion on the above point, and how it reflects on Jerry West's track record, here's another one.

 

He drafted Matt Barnes, yet didn't play him a single minute.  Barnes would end up having a 13 year career in the NBA.  After Memphis, he was traded to Cleveland, but he didn't play a minute there.  He then signed with Seattle, and didn't play a minute there either.  It wasn't until 1.5 years after he was drafted that he played his first minute, with the Los Angeles Clippers.

 

Where does not playing Matt Barnes weigh on West's legacy?  Perhaps not having a coach who would play Matt Barnes is a better way of putting it.

 

In 2003, the Grizzlies signed James Posey.  Imagine having Battier, Posey, and Barnes all on the same team.  That would be one of the toughest swingmen lineup of its era.

 

 

Apr 5, 2018 11:11am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

V-Ice wrote:

^did West draft Derek Fisher? Trade for Horry?

 

Yes, those moves happened during West's tenure.

 

I see West's title was VP of President of Basketball Operations.

 

Jim Buss was the President of Basketball Operations.

 

To what extent of credit does Buss deserve?  Did he have the final say?  (As his title suggested)?

 

Just because West played basketball, could there still have been a situation where Buss overruled him, and the organization went with Buss?

Apr 5, 2018 11:19am
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

I think we should just trust Jerry West to evaluate the draft talent. This is the guy who drafted all of Kobe Bryant, A.C. Green, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, and Klay Thompson. The man knows how to spot talent. So just let him do his thing. 

 

I give Bob Bass of the Hornets credit for that.  He drafted Bryant.

 

Bryant refused to play for the Hornets, so they traded him over summer.  There weren't the rules then that there were starting with the 1999 CBA, that you had to report to your team or face suspension.

 

Golden State also passed on Amare because he refused to work out for them.  They didn't want to be stuck in a Bryant situation.

 

Keith Van Horn didn't want to play for Philly, so he refused to work out for them.  He said he didn't like some of their existing players.  I wonder if it was Iverson, given that he would eventually play with Iverson years later after being traded to Philly.

 

The Seventy-Sixers didn't want to be stuck in a Bryant situation either.

 

After the 1999 C.B.A., holdouts or disputes with which team would draft a player, went down.  Which is good.  Because it was a distraction, wondering whether a draft pick would report to his team.

Apr 7, 2018 4:44pm
nuraman00
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 7 min ago
Joined: Oct 6, 2011

 

Mistwell wrote:

I think we should just trust Jerry West to evaluate the draft talent. This is the guy who drafted all of Kobe Bryant, A.C. Green, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, and Klay Thompson. The man knows how to spot talent. So just let him do his thing. 

 

I asked this question months ago (to CorkScrew, but anyone could have answered), about his Memphis tenure, but didn't get a response.

 

What do you think?  See it re-posted below.  Actually 2 posts.

 

Dec 8, 2017 12:43pm nuraman00 wrote:

 

What are your thoughts on the Drew Gooden pick?  Does he get a debit for making the pick, or does he get a credit for trading him and Gordan Giricek for Mike Miller, future 2003 pick Kendrick Perkins, Ryan Humphrey, and future 2004 pick Sergei Lishouk 8 months after Gooden was drafted?

 

I can't recall many other top picks who were traded during their rookie season, who weren't involved in draft day deals.  I guess the Andrew Wiggins trade is the only other time I can think of it happening, but most people thought Cleveland might trade their # 1 overall pick.

 

So did he make the wrong pick in the first place, or the right trade to correct it?

 

It's also possible that you think that Drew Gooden was the right pick in the first place.  So, let's see how you evaluate this situation.

 

Dec 12, 2017 3:09pm nuraman00 wrote:

In addition to your opinion on the above point, and how it reflects on Jerry West's track record, here's another one.

 

He drafted Matt Barnes, yet didn't play him a single minute.  Barnes would end up having a 13 year career in the NBA.  After Memphis, he was traded to Cleveland, but he didn't play a minute there.  He then signed with Seattle, and didn't play a minute there either.  It wasn't until 1.5 years after he was drafted that he played his first minute, with the Los Angeles Clippers.

 

Where does not playing Matt Barnes weigh on West's legacy?  Perhaps not having a coach who would play Matt Barnes is a better way of putting it.

 

In 2003, the Grizzlies signed James Posey.  Imagine having Battier, Posey, and Barnes all on the same team.  That would be one of the toughest swingmen lineup of its era.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bump @Mistwell, @CorkScrew, or to anyone, thoughts?

Apr 10, 2018 4:47pm
Mistwell
Online
Last seen: 2 min 37 sec ago
Joined: Oct 17, 2011

Anyone have any thoughts on Shai Gilgeous- Alexander from Kentucky? We are tentatively pencilled in on a couple of sample drafts as taking him. 6'6" PG/SG, looks to score a lot, decent defender. 

Apr 10, 2018 5:54pm
Hitnrun24
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 49 min ago
Joined: Dec 6, 2011

Mistwell wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on Shai Gilgeous- Alexander from Kentucky? We are tentatively pencilled in on a couple of sample drafts as taking him. 6'6" PG/SG, looks to score a lot, decent defender. 

 

I watched him some. He's a really tall. long point guard who uses length really well. Not a great shooter yet, but not hopeless either. Athleticism is decent, but not elite. Kind of like Murray from the Spurs, should be a good rebounder/defender for the position. He'd be a solid pick at 12/13 

Apr 11, 2018 12:08pm
trapp76
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Oct 28, 2011

I wonder how high we could trade up by packaging 12/13 together.

Apr 11, 2018 1:14pm
JGlanton
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 16 min ago
Joined: Oct 9, 2011

trapp76 wrote:

I wonder how high we could trade up by packaging 12/13 together.

It's happened before but I don't see any of the teams that are picking ahead of us wanting to trade down.   More likely is that we package a pick plus and asset for a higher pick or for a good player. Maybe from a team that doesn't have a pick and wants one. Which I would prefer.  We don't need two first rounders.

 

PHX and PHI have 11 picks between them.  ATL has 3 first rounders. There should be some pick selling/trading going on.